Yup, today is an octopus kinda day. Actually, more like eight octopuses* because eight writhing tentacles just isn’t enough to describe the kind of wild, all-over-the-place kind of day I have facing me.
What’s on my plate? Let’s look, shall we?
- writing (duh! but I need to hit a certain minimum page count in order to ensure end-of-the-month sanity);
- laundry (because the good folks of my home town look askance when one sends their kid to school naked);
- grocery shopping (because despite the fact that I gained 5 pounds over the holidays, I must still eat and feed my children–they’re very demanding that way);
- bills (because I didn’t finish yesterday);
- Medicaid (because my mother’s renewal came up and the state gives you about 2.5 seconds to pull all the necessary documents together)
- email (because I sluffed off while I was jamming toward a deadline and now my empty inbox is full again)
- To-Do list (it’s really only helpful if I use it and organize it. 102 overdue tasks just ain’t working for me)
- Proofing (I have 3 books in queue for uploading to B&N and Kindle and other retailers, and while I can pawn off much of the work, I have to do the final proof myself)
- Holiday lights (yes, they’re still on the house)
- Holiday decorations (we have an open area above our front door that can be accessed only by climbing over a ledge and risking death while scooting down a thin catwalk thingie. Like an idiot, I decided that putting a small tree and fake presents there would be a fun thing for the holidays. Now I have to go clean it up. Or keep it until next year….)
- Filing. I would say that I have three boxes of things to file, but that would be a lie. It’s more like ten boxes.
- Schooling. Because yes, the little one needs to work on reading and math and history and science. Maybe if I have her pay the bills and proof the books (reading and math). And for science? Well, I suppose she could cook dinner!
And I’m sure there’s more that I’m forgetting!
How about you? Are you sailing smooth today? Or battling 900 things from 10,000 directions?
*fun fact: Octopuses is probably more correct than Octopi because “octopus” is not Latin-based, but instead came from the Greek. Interested? Read more here!